Thursday, March 5, 2009

DNA Extract Conclusion

In class we have extracted DNA from either an animal, human or a fruit, strawberry. I personally did the strawberry. In this lab, noticed that the plant DNA was more visible than the human DNA because the strawberry had more cells. A plant has two genes meanwhile a human has four genes. The strawberry was twelve milliliters when in liquid form. Then I added detergent. Then detergent laid on top of the strawberry and it was clear. After, I added enzymes which was a tan powder. Then salt was added and which mixed in with the enzymes and detergent. Lastly, isopropanol was add and the overall amount of liquid in the test tube was fourteen milliliters. I saw the DNA at the top of the solution. It was a white color. I had done everything right in the lab because my outcome was that there was DNA at the top. However, if I had mixed of the the test tube anytime during this lab I would not have been able to see the DNA of a strawberry.

No comments: